Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Blueberry lemon muffins

I am back with yet another blueberry muffin recipe. I hope you're not getting tired of them yet. This particular version was a huge hit at my house. I realized that I ran out of frozen blueberries, so Addie and I took a quick trip to the grocery store after our weekly library storytime one week. She normally isn't a fan of this particular grocery store (it's not the normal one we go to), so I told her that I only needed one thing. Of course, I walked out with 3 more items I had to have, so I'd call that a successful trip.

Addie asked me why I needed the blueberries and I told her that I wanted to make muffins. Her eyes got wider and she wanted to know when I would make them. "Tonight?" she asked. Unfortunately, I did not have time that evening but did later that week. I added some lemon juice and zest to the muffins and hoped that these flavors wouldn't deter my preschooler from eating the muffins.

I offered Addie these muffins during breakfast on the weekend, and she was so excited. I said that these were blueberry lemon muffins and she kept referring to them as "lime" muffins. She took one bite and promptly scarfed down the rest of it in under a minute. Then she asked for another one.

I liked these muffins because the lemon flavor didn't get lost. Every few bites, I got some lemon zest, and the lemon juice blended nicely with the blueberries. The only way these could have been improved is by adding a glaze or streusel. This recipe is definitely a keeper, and I am sure I will be making them again.

Note: Because there is so much liquid in the muffins, they tend to get soggy after a day. I recommend enjoying these the day of or freezing them.

Blueberry lemon muffins
  • 1 and ½ cups flour
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • Zest and juice from 1 lemon
  • 1/3 cup applesauce
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, do not thaw)
Directions
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners or use a silicone muffin pan like I did.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, applesauce, milk, and egg until well combined.

Add the wet ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and gently mix until just combined - do not overmix. Using a rubber or wooden spatula, gently fold in the blueberries.

Evenly distribute the batter into your muffin pan and fill them about 3/4 full.

Bake in your preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven and allow to cool before serving. If desired, you can top the muffins with a lemon glaze (mix 1/2 to 1 cup of powdered sugar with lemon juice and/or milk to achieve the appropriate consistency; drizzle on top of cooled muffins and allow to harden).

Muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature and will keep for 2-3 days. They can also be frozen and reheated as needed. Muffins will become soggy after 1 day so they are best enjoyed the day they are baked.

Yield: 11 muffins

Source: Slightly adapted from Alaska from Scratch

Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...