Sunday, December 14, 2014

5 ingredient one-bowl gluten-free coconut flour brownies

Have you ever baked or cooked with coconut flour? I'm sure my gluten-free friends have tried it at some point. I personally had not used it before but was intrigued. Coconut products seems like all the rage these days, and it was only a matter of time that I tried to bake with coconut flour.

My friends at King Arthur Flour sent me a package of coconut flour to try.  I did a bit of research online, and it turns out that coconut flour isn't an easy substitute for all-purpose flour. Coconut flour absorbs liquid much more easily than its gluten-laden counterpart, so recipes with coconut flour will require a lot more eggs and liquid/moisture in order to be successful. And apparently, there is no substitute for the eggs, so anybody who is dairy-free might bit out of luck on this recipe I'm sharing.

I loved the simplicity of this recipe - I only needed one bowl, one spatula, one liquid measuring cup and one dry measuring cup for these brownies. Plus, there were only 5 ingredients in these (vanilla extract being optional).

I thought that the brownies tasted more like a cake and were just a tad grainy. Granted, I knew that the texture was going to be slightly "off" since I baked with coconut flour, but the flavor wasn't bad. A gluten-free skating mom tried them at the rink and said that she really liked them. If you want to jazz these up a bit, you can always drizzle them with sauce or eat with ice cream.

Gluten-free coconut flour brownies
  • 1/2 cup minus 1 Tablespoon coconut flour (if you have a kitchen scale, measure out 50 grams for a more accurate amount)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons honey or maple syrup
  • 3 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
Directions
Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F.  Generously grease a standard 8"x8" square baking pan and set aside (I used my silicone baking pan and did not grease it).

In a large bowl with a rubber spatula, mix all ingredients together until no flour or cocoa streaks remain.

Transfer to your prepared baking pan and bake in your preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool the brownies before serving.

Brownies should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator and will keep for several days.

Disclaimer: King Arthur Flour sent me a complimentary bag of coconut flour, but I was not provided any additional compensation for this post. As always, all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.

Yield: One 8"x8" pan; about 16 brownies

Source: Adapted from Empowered Sustenance

Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...