Sunday, May 3, 2015

Eggless chocolate layer cake

A super moist, dense and rich chocolate cake that is made without eggs! The moisture comes from applesauce and buttermilk and will stay fresh for several days. Top it with sprinkles to make the cake even better!

I'm still astounded that Addie turned 5 last month. It doesn't seem that long ago when she was crawling or drooling on her bib. Now we have to prepare for Kindergarten (!!) and all the fun stuff that comes with that.

When I asked Addie what kind of cake she wanted for her 5th birthday, she immediately said chocolate with sprinkles. I looked for a recipe that would fit the bill but wanted to keep in mind my parents' dietary needs. As I mentioned on here before, my father had a minor heart attack over a year ago, so he has not been eating too many eggs. I thought an eggless cake would be difficult to find, but I was wrong. Don't get me wrong - this recipe uses plenty of butter so it's not health food, but I can honestly say that there are no eggs in it.


The cake extremely moist and chocolate-y and was a huge hit with my family. My dad was surprised when I told him that there were no eggs in it. Since he is also watching his butter intake, he only took a small slice, but I know he wanted more.

The birthday girl ate her slice in record time and got some chocolate all over her face. It was a precious moment that I wish I had captured on camera, but the OCD mom in me wiped her face before I could even think about taking a photo.

This was one of the best chocolate cakes I've had to date, and that's definitely saying something. I've had plenty of chocolate cakes in my lifetime, and this was rich, dense and full of chocolate flavor. The applesauce and buttermilk made the cake nice and moist, and the cake didn't dry out even after a full week.

I'm keeping this recipe in my back pocket because I know I'll be making it again.

Eggless chocolate layer cake
Cake

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup (1 and 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 and 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • Frosting

  • 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 225 grams unsweetened chocolate, chopped and melted
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice
  • 1/4 cup water/milk of choice/coffee


  • Directions
    Bake the cake: Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Generously grease and line two 9" round cake pans and set aside.

    In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

    The bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, cream the butter and sugars on medium speed for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy.  Add in half of the applesauce and mix. Add the remaining applesauce and vinegar and mix well. The batter will look curdled, but do not worry.

    Add in the vanilla. Then alternatively add the dry ingredients and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. 

    Evenly divide the batter into your two prepared cake pans. Bake in your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

    Allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting. I found that it's best refrigerated overnight before frosting (the cakes will be a bit soft to slice in half and frost otherwise).

    Make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and glossy, about 1 minute.

    Add in the melted chocolate, vanilla, salt and 1 cup of the powdered sugar. Mix for 1 minute. Alternatively add in the remaining powdered sugar and milk in 3 increments, beginning and ending with the powdered sugar. Once all the powdered sugar is in the bowl, beat on medium-high speed for 1-2 minutes until the frosting is smooth and spreadable. If the frosting is too stiff, add a bit more liquid (milk or coffee). If it is too runny, add more powdered sugar.

    Assemble the cake: Remove the cooled cakes from the pan and slice each one in a half horizontally (optional). I used a serrated bread knife to cut mine in half. Put one layer on the bottom of a cake pan and top with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of frosting. Repeat with remaining layers. Add frosting to the top and sides of cake and serve.

    Leftover cake should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator and will keep for about 1 week.

    Yield: One 9" cake; about 10-12 servings

    Source: Eggless Cooking

    Photobucket

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...