Friday, June 5, 2015

Skating Fridays

Mental block


I am currently experiencing a mental block at the rink. As part of my downtime since Adult Nationals, I have been working on refining my existing elements and learning new ones. A jump that I worked on intermittently last year was the double salchow. I landed two last summer.

However, because I was laser focused on my Gold Freestyle program, I haven't worked on it in months. Now I'm back and re-focusing my efforts on this jump. I'd love to add it to my freestyle program, since I am keeping the same program for next year.

I know that I have the physical ability to land this jump. The part that is preventing me from doing it is my brain. I have a mental block on this jump right now. Part of it is a very real fear of falling and seriously injuring myself. Last year, I tore my meniscus so that injury is always in the back of my head, and I don't want to repeat something similar. The other part of me is freaking out because it is a double jump.

Coach B and I have been working on the pre-jump exercises and all kinds of preparations to get me ready for the real thing. We've done some work on the harness, and I can land them without any help from her. But once the harness comes off, it's a completely different game.



As the Olympic coach said to me last year, I will land this jump when I am ready. I know I am ready, but there is still a little voice in my head that is telling me that I am scared.

Have any advice on how to tell that voice to be quiet? How do you get over mental blocks in skating or in everyday life?


Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...