I'm back again this week to recap what I learned at the skating seminar a few weeks ago. Today I am discussing the warmup exercises that Laurent Depouilly shared with us. Laurent is a French figure skater and was Brian Joubert's coach.
These exercises should be done every day, and not just competition day. Laurent stressed that if you don't perform these exercises on a daily basis, then doing them only day-of will do no good.
Begin these exercises as soon as you arrive at the rink.
Warmup for Competition Day
- Body Stretching: Start from bottom of body to top (feet, knees, hips, core, shoulders, arms and hands)
- Blood pressure: Do exercises to elevate heart rate (running for >6 minutes, skipping rope, climbing stairs)
- Jump exercises: Jump up and down (10x), jumping jack type jumps (10x), cross feet jumping jacks (10x)
- Full body stretching
- Jumping techniques (rotations and landings)
- Hold rotation and landing positions for all 3 spin positions (upright, sit, camel)
- Music simulation (listen to music, run through choreography using arms)
- Visualization: Visualize your program