Friday, March 11, 2016

Skating Fridays

Recap from Sectionals - Part 1


Wow - what a fabulous weekend! I am back from my Sectionals event and will be recapping it for you all here. If you don't have time to read the whole post, just know that I am happy with how things turned out.

My skating partner and I arrived in town on Friday. I had official practice ice later that evening, and my friend had a practice session for 10pm. I got on the ice, and it felt... crunchy. The ice at my home rink is very hard and unforgiving, and this rink's was slightly softer and faster.

I had a hard fall during an axel attempt and was happy to have finally gotten my mandatory pre-competition fall out of the way. My spins were not good, as I felt I had trouble gripping the ice with my blade. Others made the same observations so it wasn't just me or my nerves.

We finally returned to our hotel around 11:30pm that evening and had to get up at 6am for my 7am practice. Needless to say, I did not sleep well that night. I kept visualizing my program and giving myself positive self-talk.

I had a good practice early the next morning and felt good overall. I wasn't nervous. About 30 minutes before I was supposed to skate, I went to the ladies' locker room and just closed my eyes to visualize my program. I skated everything clean and saw my score at the end of the day - a 27. I imagined the squeal that my coach would give when I told her that I earned 27 points and how proud she would be of me. She would give me a huge hug once I returned home.

Next thing I knew, it was time for my warmup. I was the first to skate in my group, so I didn't do a full warmup. I did some easier elements and went to talk to my skating partner when the announcer said that there was 1 minute remaining.

And to my surprise, my parents, brother and sister-in-law had driven the distance to watch me skate. This was especially meaningful to me since none of them had ever seen me perform a real skating program. I was overwhelmed with gratitude and wanted to skate well for them. I glanced over at them as I took my starting position and then the music played.
Photo courtesy of Pixel8 Studios

I two-footed my axel and had a weird exit on my sit-back sit spin, but everything else felt OK. I had a few wobbles here and there but did fine. I wasn't ecstatic about how I performed, but it was solid enough to not be too upset. I wasn't sure if my score would improve from the last year (around 22 total points). The event coordinators were not announcing scores or placements, so I would have to wait until all 21 of us finished before they posted results.

Finally, the results were taped onto the bulletin board. I marched up, and I looked at the bottom of the sheet. I didn't see my name and started moving up towards the top of the document. To my surprise and excitement, I had placed 13th out of 21! And I had earned a score of 26.38, which is a personal best for me and 4 full points higher than what I had been scoring. I was in a virtual tie with two other ladies and could have earned a spot in the top half. Wow!

Not only did I make a huge improvement from the previous year (where I placed 20th out of 21 and earned ~22 points), but I also was mentally more mature for this competition. Rather than let my nerves get the best of me or listen to the negative voice in my head, I finally started believing in myself. All the hard work, practice and positive self-talk finally paid off.

I am becoming a better skater and am looking forward to making even more progress this year. Things are finally starting to click into place.

Here is the video from my performance.



Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...