Bobbe Shire Spin Clinic - Part 3: Final ThoughtsHere are a few additional notes that I took from the clinic.
- The hardest thing about skating is putting your body in the right position at the right time. You essentially have 2 brains - one in your head and one in your body. Don't listen to the "body brain" because it goes against the real brain.
- For Step 2 of the spin (see previous week's post), think of Newton's law: You want the curve to get smaller for centrifugal force ("George") to work. Feel the edge slice through the ice at an angle and press against the direction you're going.
- The camel spin is the only spin where you can't swing your leg to get George
- In IJS competitions, it's better to execute an amazing spin than flub up a hard jump (for example, a CCoSp4 is worth 3.5 points whereas a Double Axel is only worth 3.3)
- Anytime you change feet in a spin, you have to start over at Step 3 (the hook) again. Find George and pull in.